Christ Church Parish Vancouver B.C. is the cathedral church of the Diocese of New Westminster within the Anglican Church of Canada. We operate by living into the motto Open Hearts, Open Mind, Open Doors on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh nations. We are a diverse, progressive, intergenerational and LGBTQIA/2S affirming church within the Anglican tradition. In addition to our Church Services, we regularly host performances of all types; from Classical and Sacred Music to Rock and Metal, Spoken Word, Literary Readings, and so much more. What sets Cathedral performances apart is that we are one of the city’s most beautiful and acoustically rich venues.
As part of the Cathedral’s vision of creating a safe space for youth to grow, Christ Church Cathedral Children, Youth & Families program is looking to fill two positions to help run the PlayRight Youth Drama Project launching in early 2023!
Closing Date: January 15th, 2023
Position Title: Drama Project Youth Worker
Position Profile: On-site part-time contract casual position. No benefits.
The program will run on Thursday evenings for 4 hours, every week, parallel to the school year, taking a break over Christmas and the Summer (potential for Summer intensive programming)
Reports to: The Children, Youth & Family Minister - Lauren Odile Pinkney
Commitment Expectation: Temporary position: 1 year with a 3-month probationary period
- A passion for arts-based programs either through completion or being currently enrolled in related programs or courses.
- Experienced in drama and leading elements of drama skills, games and learning activities.
- Demonstrates leadership skills, enthusiasm and being a positive role model. Able to easily work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Good knowledge of theatre and/or a background in the performing arts are valuable assets.
- Proven track record working with youth including a basic knowledge of child and youth development and life challenges.
- Willingness to learn new skills and receive constructive feedback for personal and professional growth.
- The successful candidate must be 19+ years of age.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Ready, willing, and able to model the vision, mission, and values of Christ Church Cathedral CYF ministry.
- Assist in running a safe space weekly youth drop-in session for youth.
- Support creating an inclusive and respectful environment by being a positive role model to young people.
- Lead key drama themes and skills-based activities for youth to explore, gain and hone new skills in drama and the arts.
- Work as part of a cohesive and collaborative team to deliver informal-themed programming.
- Aid youth in expressing themselves and the things they care about in creative and innovative ways to inspire and carry them through their adolescence and beyond.
- To support youth in learning in an informal environment that prioritizes building positive relationships, empowerment, reflection, resilience, and self-actualization.
- Assist in an organized set up and take down of weekly drop-in sessions.
- Compliance Requirements:
- Completion of Safe Church and Dismantling Racism workshops within 90 days of employment
- Successful Criminal Record Check and Working with Vulnerable Individuals check
- Basic First Aid/CPR or equivalent
Please email: Lauren@thecathedral.ca and include a short cover letter and your resume.
The closing date for these positions are January 15th, 2023.