A stunning piece of art created by Samuel Bates, carved in rock. The Celtic Cross was dedicated to the Glory of God on June 8th, 2014, the Feast of Pentecost.
A gift from Judith and Poul Hansen, the Cross was installed in the Hillman Garden located on the west side of Christ Church Cathedral near the intersection of Burrard and West Georgia streets. The location of the Celtic Cross carving just below and adjacent to the Cathedral’s Crucifixion stained glass window in the west transept is particularly meaningful.
In his statement the artist writes:
“The central triskel, or three armed spiral, here refers to the Trinity. As the three lines move outward, forming the rest of the design, it becomes an analogy for the Creator’s generation of everything from a continuous act of sharing His own existence. All lines begin in the centre; all lines lead back to the centre.”
The Icon Triptych is a gift to the Cathedral from the family of long time parishioner Dr. Anne Autor and was commissioned by the Cathedral in June of 2014.
Vladislav Andrejev of the Prosopon School of Iconology in Whitney Point, New York, was chosen as the icon writer. This icon is based upon 3 panels on Rublev’s Holy Trinity (centre), Holy Sophia (West), and Logos Emmanuel (East). Taken together this triptych forms a meditation on creation.
A plaque will with the following dedication is located near the icon:
The icon triptych at the reredos is a gift to the Glory of God and to honour the distinguished academic teaching career, values, and faith of Dr. Anne Pomeroy Autor. Dedicated January 25, 2015.
Christ Church's earliest group of windows were installed and dedicated following the Cathedral’s first major renovation in 1909. Many of these earlier windows are memorials to those who fought and died in World War I and World War II.
More recent additions include Musqueam artist Susan Point's Tree of Life window (2013), and Sarah Hall's Welcoming Light (2016).
You can download the Cathedral's Stained Glass Window Brochure at the bottom of this page.
Textile and fiber arts have long associations with church and liturgy. Christ Church Cathedral is no exception, although it came a little later to the party. It wasn’t until Northcote Burke became dean in the 1950’s that the first coloured altar frontals were introduced.
In 1975, then Assistant Priest Bob Pynn applied to the Vancouver Foundation for funds to engage a liturgical arts co-ordinator. Over the years a number of textile artists including Adrian Ross, Mary Jane Muir and others have helped enhance public worship and decorate the church.
Sometimes this was a staff position, sometimes volunteer. For about 40 years there was an active liturgical arts guild—creating and stitching work that is still in use today.
Click the buttons below to find out more about recent textile arts projects at the Cathedral.